1. (a) The club shall be called “Rutland Water Fly Fishers”
(b) The club shall be affiliated to the Angling Trust, The Association of Major Fly-Fishing Clubs, Empingham Cricket Club, together with any Associations approved by the Annual General Meeting, subject to Rules 9 (c), (d) and (e).
2. (a) Membership shall be open to all.
(b) A member may bring up to two guests to any one ordinary meeting. No guest may attend more than two ordinary meetings before seeking to obtain membership of the Club.
3. There shall be an honorary President who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting having been nominated as per the Officers and Committee members.
The Officers and the Executive Committee
4. (a) The Executive Committee (“the Committee”) shall consist of up to 15 members, including the following Executive Officers (“the Officers): Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary.
(b) The Officers and members of the Committee shall be each elected to serve for a period of two years. Elections shall take place at The Annual General Meeting. Election of Officers, as necessary, shall precede the election of members of the Committee. In the case of election of an officer, all members of the Club shall be entitled to one vote; the candidate securing the largest number of votes shall be elected to that office. In the case of the election of members of the Committee, all members of the Club shall be entitled to a number of votes equal to the number of vacancies on the Committee remaining after the election of officers.
Candidates shall be elected to fill vacancies in descending order determined by the number of votes cast for them.
(c) The election of Officers and the Committee shall be so arranged that in each year six members of the Committee shall retire. Retiring Officers and members of the committee shall be eligible for re-election.
Nominations for Officers or Committee vacancies, proposed and seconded, shall reach the secretary 30 clear days before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
(d) In the event of the retirement of an Officer or member of the Committee before the completion of the period for which he was elected, a replacement Officer or member of the Committee shall be elected at the next Annual General Meeting to serve the remainder of the retiring officers or members period.
(e) The Committee shall have the power to co-opt extra members, as required, for a specific period.
(f) The Committee shall meet at least four times each year, the dates of the committee meetings to be published at the Annual General Meeting, plus any special meetings that may arise.
(g) The Committee members should attend at least seventy-five per cent of Committee meetings. There shall be a quorum of four.
(h) The Chairman shall have the casting vote.
(i) Officers and members of the Committee may reclaim reasonable administrative expenses (including postage and telephone costs) and travelling expenses incurred on behalf of the Club. Claims for such expenses should be made to the Treasurer who, in cases of doubt, will submit the claims to the Committee for final approval.
Financial Accounts and Subscriptions
5. (a) The Treasurer shall maintain the financial accounts of the Club and shall submit an audited statement of the financial accounts to The Annual General Meeting. The financial year shall be from October 1st to September 30th.
(b) The annual subscription shall be determined by The Annual General Meeting in November and become due on the following December 1st. The Committee shall, subject to Rules 9 (c), (d) and (e), recommend to The Annual General Meeting an appropriate annual subscription.
(c) Membership will be invalid if the subscription is not paid by February 28th. New Members joining after February 28th will pay a full subscription covering the remainder of the membership year in which they join.
(d) The income from subscriptions and other sources shall be used to meet the expenses of the Club which will include meeting expenses, administrative expenses, reasonable administrative and travelling expenses incurred by Officers and members of the Committee as defined in Rule 4 (i), and other such expenses as are authorized, subject to Rules 9 (c), (d) and (e), by The Annual General Meeting.
Code of Conduct
6. All members are expected to observe the rules of the Water and to see that they and all others do so.
7. Disputes will be dealt with in accordance with the Confederation of English Fly Fishers disputes and complaints procedures.
8. (a) Club Trophies fished for at Rutland Water during the season are:
- The Mike Ellis Trophy. Best Rainbow by a Junior Member.
- The Fario Trophy. Best Brown by a Junior Member.
- The Trout Fisherman Trophy. Best Brown by adult member.
- The Trout and Salmon Trophy. Best Rainbow by adult member.
- Loch Style Trophy
- Hanby Cup
- Inter Club Competition
- John Maitland Trophy
- Wadham Trophy
- Cutting Trophy
Note: All prospective entries for the above trophies must be caught within ‘season’ and must be witnessed by a warden or weighed and witnessed privately. Those scales must then be checked against those at the fishing lodge in the presence of a warden. The details of specimen fish should be given via email, together with a photo, to the Hon. Secretary as soon as possible after capture.
(b) The Club may enter other Competitions for which individuals competing will bear all expenses.
(c) Any Club members wishing to form a team bearing the Club’s name must receive the approval of the Committee.
The Annual General Meeting
9. (a) The Annual General Meeting shall be held on the second Thursday in November each year. Admission will be restricted to current members only.
(b) The Rules of the club may be amended only at The Annual General Meeting.
(c) All motions and amendments properly proposed and seconded in writing shall reach the secretary by 30 clear days before the date of The Annual General Meeting.
(d) 15 days before the date of The Annual General Meeting, the Secretary shall communicate notice of The Annual General Meeting, together with all motions and amendments.
(e) A two thirds majority of members voting shall be required to pass all motions and amendments at the Annual General Meeting. In this context, members abstaining from voting shall not be counted as voting. Votes will be counted by a show of hands.
(f) Any other business shall be allowed by permission of the Chairman.
10 (a) If at any General Meeting of the Club, a resolution be passed calling for the dissolution of the Club, the Secretary shall immediately convene a Special General Meeting of the Club to be held not less than one month thereafter to discuss and vote on the resolution.
(b) If at that Special General Meeting, the resolution is carried by at least two-thirds of the members present at the meeting, the Committee shall thereupon, or at such date as shall have been specified in the resolution, proceed to realize the assets of the Club and discharge all debts and liabilities of the Club.
(c) After discharging all debts and liabilities of the Club, the remaining assets shall not be paid or distributed amongst the members of the Club, but shall be given or transferred to the Angling Trust.
11. Communications with the club should be to the club chairman by email.
See Committee page for details
Published: November 2021
See also our members Code of Conduct.
- Provide an outstanding Club for Members of RWFF.
- Promote the ethics and traditions of the sport and club.
- Provide members with news, information, a social network, organised events, competitions and a voice with other related organisations e.g. Anglian Water, Angling Trust.
- Expand the Club membership.
- Encourage a diverse membership
- Promote fly fishing as a sport and to increase participation.
- Develop the future of fly fishing by providing support and encouragement to junior fly fishers at Rutland Water.